The Philanthropist's Danse

The Philanthropist's Danse - Paul Wornham 3.5 starsIn the vein of a classic whodunnit plot, The Philanthropist's Dan$e gathers a group of people at a country mansion in New York. However, instead of a murder occurring on the first night, the group is assigned the chore of dividing the fortune of the already decreased Mr. Thruwell. Plotting, scheming and aligning allegiances ensue. For mystery readers that lean towards classic plot and characterization reminiscent of the BBC classics, Murder She Wrote episodes, or Agatha Christie type reads, you will likely enjoy Paul Wornham's debut novel. If you're looking for a modern or twist in approach, you won't get it here. The plot and characters (including butlers) follow a typical cozy mystery script and I'm afraid not much of a twist comes in the end. Nevertheless, human nature is interesting when money is at stake. Would I have liked more of a twist and shock of character, breaking the cliche mould? Yes, because that is usually my preference. However, if you're looking for a stoke the pipe and park the toes in front of a fire classic "Richie Rich" cozy mansion mystery -- this might toast your marshmallows.