Red Fox (An Experiment in Terror)

Red Fox - Karina Halle Red Fox is the sequel to Darkhouse and the middle child in the Experiment of Terror series. I eagerly awaited the release of Karina Halle's second book after loving the first, Darkhouse. Although there is some recapping and background information given in the first chapter, I highly recommend reading the first book and not skipping in order to get the full personality, connection and investment in the characters - especially, Perry and Dex. Stand alone, I'm afraid readers won't develop the attachment. With that said, the story itself deals with a new adventure or should I say, nightmarish weekend. This time confronting Navajo mythology, including skinwalkers, and framed by a New Mexico setting. Red Fox is unique because although it has a similar thread when compared to Darkhouse (the paranormal) it is not the same story, different setting. I liked the variation from haunting ghosts to Navajo shapeshifters and the characters reactions to the experience through their inexperience. Poor Perry gets pretty beat up in this one and the tension between Dex and her increases to the point your screaming, "Just kiss each other!" For me, this is a positive and rather refreshing take on sexual tension. It is sweet, vulnerable, restrained and leading somewhere (I hope). As I mentioned in my previous review, the flawed characters are attractive, relatable and oddly heroic. Perfection is not a looming attribute and it is in this depiction of life that draws me in and keeps me reading. Okay, bring on book number three because I'm really hoping Jenn gets kicked to the curb and Perry manages to break away from her parents. We'll see....