Every Other Day

Every Other Day - Jennifer Lynn Barnes Kali is a grounded, female character that has resigned to her uncommon life and the inevitable isolation that comes with it. Despite her predatory skills and strength, she is vulnerable, which softens her character, making her incredibly likable. She can kick-butt, but experiences all the same teen-angst insecurities that 'normal' kids go through. This characterization detail keeps her planted in the here and now even when the supernatural threatens to take this science-fiction, paranormal mystery to strange, unimaginable places. Every Other Day is a great example of how to cement the abstract into reality making it credible. Joss Whedon did this with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I see similarities or possible influences in this particular story. Buffy fans will enjoy Jennifer Lynn Barnes characters and style. I know I did! I have no idea of any of the conceptual ideas are scientifically viable, but due to the writing delivery, it certainly was believable. I could give over to the story and sink into the world of Kali and her friends. The ending leaves the reader wanting more and I'm looking forward to the sequel. This is a great young adult book that puts an inspiring tweak on some overdone paranormal concepts and creatures.