Every You, Every Me

Every You, Every Me - Every You, Every Me is an artistic endeavor that falls short. The idea of basing a story on random photos is intriguing and I was rooting for it to be an inspiring hit, but sadly I did not care very much for this work by David Levithan. Although I'm a fan of previous stories by the author, Every You, Every Me, didn't provide the level of intrigue or mystery the synopsis promises. At no point did I truly believe Ariel was behind the scheme and although this had depth potential, the plot wavered along the surface. The voice of Evan was feminine sounding in the beginning, so much so, that I had to recheck if the narrator was male or female. I was not convinced I was in the mind of a male teen. After I put that aside, I tried to focus on the photos and was equally put off. Nothing seemed to gel, especially Ariel's dress in contrast to Dana, Alex and Evans. It was strangely out of place and not in a that's so retro sort of way. The strike-through in the text is distracting. Some readers may find it interesting, but I became quickly annoyed, especially in long passages that included crossed out words. Lastly, the battle of BFF's between Dana and Evan was bizarre to say the least. It was difficult to believe that neither the boyfriend or Evan knew anything about this 'secret' friendship -- even though they all attended the same school. The whole tale was a tad inconceivable and I simply didn't care for it. The media intention was commendable and deserved the attempt, but was not achieved. A quick read that can easily be finished in a day since many of the 240+ pages have photos or merely 1 to few sentences.