The Mischief of the Mistletoe: A Pink Carnation Christmas

The Mischief of the Mistletoe - Lauren Willig Who better to snag the lead in a romantic comedy than Turnip our favorite vegetable from the Pink Carnation series! What a delight this book was to read. It's an absolutely enchanting holiday mystery complete with intrigue, parties, pretty ladies and diabolical Christmas puddings. Admittedly, I am already a fan of Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series, but I found this book, which was cleverly squeezed between The Temptation of the Night Jasmine and The Betrayal of the Blood Lily to be my favorite thus far. I had nearly forgotten just how addicting these reads could be and I am more than eager to jump into the next adventure. In a previous tale, Mr. Fitzhugh makes an appearance as a supporting character and throughout comes across as ridiculous. I'm pleased to say that he remains ridiculous, but in the most charming way imaginable and that Arabella compliments him perfectly. Willig makes a match that even the Dowager of Dovedale would approve.I suggest reading the author's note before beginning the story. It is most helpful. Also, if it has been some time, or if you haven't read the other Pink Carnation stories, I suggest reviewing the character list and descriptions also located in the back of the book. It's a very nice refresher.A special cameo celebrity makes an appearance in this book, a Miss Jane Austen. I must say it takes guts to include a national treasure that every country wishes they could claim. Purest might be put off and I was taken back in the beginning, but Willig works the star nicely into the tale. I felt Willig honored Austen's style and consider The Mischief of the Mistletoe a light-hearted tribute to her champion influence.