Do Tampons Take Your Virginity?: A Catholic Girl's Memoir

Do Tampons Take Your Virginity?: A Catholic Girl's Memoir - Marie Simas, Keith Popely Simas attacks this memoir with unapologetic strength. The humor, pain and personality comes through in the written word. I felt I got to know and connect with Marie. Sure, sympathizing is common with memoirs, but getting a reader to laugh while at the worst, well, that takes a special creative talent. Don't get me wrong, nothing is funny about the serious issues presented, but humor brings relief. The message is about surviving, overcoming, talking and ultimately, in the end to change. Yes, things happen to people, but what are we going to do with these experiences. It might be cliche to say, 'Turn the bad into good,' but taking control is the best revenge. Marie takes control of her past, which also allows her to control her future. I wish it was longer. Some of the entries seemed too short or cut off. I tend to do this when I'm writing a particularly disturbing scene. At times, it is abrupt, like a slap in the face. However, it is consistent and the more I think about, it works with the overall voice of the book. Still, a little more vulnerability by slowing down at certain places would benefit the passages.* mature content: marital rape, abuse and language.