The Lantern: A Novel

The Lantern - Deborah Lawrenson I have mixed feelings about this particular book. It is well-written and researched, with defined characters and wonderful Hemingway-like setting descriptions. However, as you can see by the synopsis, much is already revealed on the back cover. For me, as a reader, this can send a red flag. Why is it necessary to preview with a string of questions and detail to this extend? Is it a way to point the reader in the correct direction or to premise the read with enough information to guide to a conclusion? After perusing, do you really need to read the entire book? But wait, so many questions are posed and I don't have the answers...so, yes I will read the book! I recommend setting aside a chuck of time if you're going to crack the spine on this one. The story is told in shifts of the same setting. This occurs often, sometimes within a few pages. If you have to pick up and put down the book you may lose track of who is speaking or what parallel and mind you're in. I know I did. Also, there are redundant perspectives of the same incident told or remembered so this won't help if you've lost where you are in the story. Much backtracking and re-reading may be necessary to get oriented again. I felt a little beaten over the head by the retelling of incidents. New clues were given, but not enough to warrant my re-reading of several scenes. I found this irritating and boring, but I kept on thinking some greater 'ah-ha' moment would come and I'd be rewarded for all my tenacity. Certain things are revealed but it's more of a 'ho-hum', than a ah-ha' moment. All in all, it didn't move fast enough for my taste or deliver the shock promised.