Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror)

Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror) - Karina Halle It's no secret that I'm quickly becoming an enthusiastic fan girl of both Halle's Experiment in Terror series and of her, the amazing women writer. I devoured the first two books in the series and couldn't wait to get my hands on number three! It does not disappoint! Although, Dead Sky Morning includes another paranormal investigation adventure with main characters, Perry Palomino and Dex Foray, it veers slightly away from the ghostly and delves into the inner hauntings of the characters. The personal closeness is not lost on the reader and is delivered with a raw, natural awkwardness that mimics real life. Halle's descriptions reveal the vulnerability of relationships along with the flawed imperfections and magnetic complications that come from attraction, experience, emotion and rationality. Dead Sky Morning thematically focuses on morality, and does so through use of setting, history and present day social culture. The isolation is gripping and works to push the climax. By far, the most terrifying of the three books because of the emotional intensity. Of course, I don't want to downplay the horror and paranormal elements in the story. Oh, they are there and Halle weaves a visual that will put the reader right on the island--chilled, wet, muddy and feeling like eyes are watching from everywhere. You'll hear the cracking of coffins against the rocks. One minute they will be there and the next, they're gone and just like Perry, you'll wonder if you're imagining the entire ordeal. It's an experiment worth trying and I highly recommend all three books. Although, you don't necessarily have to start with Darkhouse (book #1), because each story is a complete spookfest, I'd consider doing so to achieve and understand the complexity and relationship of the main characters. This is a deep, dark horror that deserves high marks from the beginning. I must confess, this fan is ecstatic about the promise of book 4--note: teaser at the end of book three! I'll be waiting....