Wahoo Rhapsody (An Atticus Fish Novel)

Wahoo Rhapsody (An Atticus Fish Novel) - Shaun Morey This is more than a fun beach read. However, I do highly recommend taking it with you on vacation this summer. Wahoo Rhapsody is a hilarious and intelligent absurdist adventure that is larger than any fish tale you've heard so far. It's the kind of book that will give you pointers on how to sue God and win. From the gut-splitting and brutally honest depiction of Cabo San Lucas (timeshare barkers included) to the chlorinated attraction in San Diego, Morey will have you chasing the characters while with each step connecting their six degrees of separation. The ending is a surprise and although it is right in front of you, the reader won't likely get a undo spoiler (unless you cheat) and read the ending first. Morey takes a pile of stereotypes and turns a tale so outrageous that it becomes insanely original. When do characters stop being cliche? When a writer knows just how to use them to their advantage, and Morey clear does! But wait...I just said Morey makes great use of stereotypes, and he does with one tiny exception. It's not truly a flaw, in fact it plays into the absurdity littered throughout the story. I'd call it a mild irritant. The majority of females are stumbling, bumbling drunks who are looking for a good time and throw themselves at the first man whore they target. It's the ultimate exaggeration of the perception that women on vacation are easy with low standards. It's hard to argue with when this behavior can be viewed in mass at any southern vacation hot spot and resort. I get it, but the female stereotype was pushed forward with little concern whereas the other (male) stereotypical characters are provided greater background and development. I can't really say 'depth' because most are shallow.